Saturday, November 6, 2010

I think my child is a borg...

Okay, I am aware that the title to this post is odd and many of you may not even get the reference. To start with I am a sci fi/fantasy geek and when I was younger I watched a LOT of star trek. I wouldn't say I was a Trekkie by any means, but I know more then the average person. Anyway... there are a species called the borg and what makes them hard to defeat is that they can adapt so that they are immune to your weapons. How does this relate to Eirik? He can adapt to whatever sleep technique and then ignore it!

So I have to say we haven't been too great about the whole sleeping schedule simply because hes had a cold and its hard to start something like that when he's sick. But whenever we find some trick that seems to help him get to sleep for naps and night time it seems that the method works for 2, maybe 3 days before it doesn't work anymore. Its as if Eirik knows we're trying to put him to sleep and goes "AH HA! NO!".

First rocking him worked. I would hold him on my chest upright and pat his back and rock him. Then that stopped working so I would hold him in the cradle hold and rock him. Then THAT stopped working so we're now bouncing and swaying while I stand. This is only in the past two weeks... the list of other things that used to help him fall asleep but don't is long... for a while I could lay down with him and he'd fall asleep. That didn't last long... then we went back to swaddling. That worked the longest out of them all but before too long that as well stopped working. I tried just sitting still and patting his back and doing rhythmic sushing... yea.... that doesn't work either anymore. I've tried the whole "put them in the crib drowsy" thing and that has NEVER worked. Even when he was 2 months old the second I put him down he would be wide eyed and trying to play.

I told him I was going to trade him in for one of those babies that sleeps. He smiled at me. He's lucky he's so darn cute sometimes...

1 comment:

  1. I think anyone who didn't get the borg reference right away should on principal stop reading your blog! :-)
    I took notes to your sleep methods b/c right now my lil guy only sleeps 1.5-2.5 hours at a time... which is b/c of age but when he gets to the age of "should be sleeping through the night" I'm going to try everything. Ever try drinking a glass of wine before you go to bed so he can enjoy a little bit of the benifits?

    ReplyDelete