Sunday, November 21, 2010

I'm one of those women...

I wanted to post this last weekend but one thing led to another and an entire week has gone by.

Last weekend I became one of those women. Those women who you hear about on the news who breastfeed anywhere. Thankfully unlike the people on the news no one said anything to me. I find this funny in a way because I am a very modest person and a very non confrontational person. I tend to go with the flow, keep the peace, and not do anything extra to draw attention to myself. Before having Eirik my friend and I had an in depth conversation about breastfeeding in public and I always said "oh, i'd probably find somewhere quiet to go".

I know I posted about the first time I nursed in public. A terrifying experience! But with my parents visiting and us being on the go so much I quickly got used to it. However even so I still always tried to find a quiet area to feed him. If there was a nursing room I would use it or sometimes I would simply wait until I got to the car. Eirik has never been one for the covers and honestly neither have I. I have one sitting on a shelf that has never been used... not once.

Then last weekend I was in Barns and Noble with my husband. I was walking around with Eirik and he was fussing... I knew he was hungry but honestly there is no where in Barns and Nobel thats out of the way. They used to have big chairs in quiet places but since people used the bookstore as a library they centralized all the chairs... right next to a window and the checkout area.

I thought about it for about 5 minutes. Do I go back to the car or do I simply sit down and feed him in the big comfy chairs? I went back and forth in my head before finally realizing I was being stupid and sat down and fed him. And nothing happened. No one flinched. I don't think most people even realized what I was doing in all honesty. They probably thought I was just cuddling with my child.

I am always paranoid when I feed Eirik in public that people can see what I am doing and I'm flashing people left and right. But as this picture shows thats not the case.

IMG_3525

And to think, all this time i've been nervous and paranoid for nothing!

2 comments:

  1. I admire you for your ability to nurse in public. I am still scared by the thought of it. I am very shy about things...although after going through labor, and having everything exposed, one would think shyness would not be an issue. But, it is....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I use a cover when I nurse in public and it's a total pain...but Kylie pulls off and looks around often and I'm pretty sure I'd full on be flashing peeps =) It looks like Eirik is great about it though. It's great to hear that no one flinched, maybe our society is getting a little more accepting of b/f.

    ReplyDelete