Monday, December 13, 2010

A Graduate Again!

This post is a step away from mommy stuff for a moment and focus on... me!

In late 2007 I began trying to get pregnant. I was stressed and frazzled and trying to think of something to take my mind off of things... I had been toying around with the idea of going back to school and doing an online program but I hadn't found one that I liked. Then suddenly I came across a program that was perfect for me! It required no GRE's, was online, and would give me a masters degree in Biotechnology. I had an undergrad degree in Biology but quickly realized that to get anywhere I would need a masters degree. I applied for the program and was accepted to begin Fall 2008.

And now, 2 1/2 years later, I am officially done. That's right, tonight I made my last message board posting. I will admit that its been challenging at times. There have been classes I truly enjoyed and other classes that honestly I barely made it through. While i took most of my classes online I did spent my first semester doing a horrible commute (1 hour each way 2 nights a week after work) so that I didn't have to delay starting my classes.

I was concerned for a while about what would happen if I got pregnant while taking these classes and how difficult it would be to complete the courses with an infant. I have to say that these past 2 semesters, balancing new motherhood, work, and classes has been trying and difficult. I have found myself forced to choose between time with Eirik and doing homework or reading. I'm glad that I am done now, when Eirik is 9 months old, as opposed to when he's older. The older he gets and the more he's awake in the day the more difficult the balancing act is.

The funny part is that now I've accomplished this I find myself seriously questing my professional aspirations. almost 3 years ago when I decided I wanted to persue a masters degree I thought I knew what I wanted. Now after having Eirik I'm not so sure. Either way I'm proud to have accomplished this feat of getting my masters degree!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! I am so impressed! I can't believe you have been working full time (LONG hours!), have a 9 month old, and managed to finish your masters. Good for you! And yay for being done. That must be a load off your mind, and a wonderful feeling of freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Emma!!! Regardless of what you end up doing career-wise, completing your masters degree while working full-time and now managing your time with Eirik, too, is a HUGE accomplishment! You should be very proud :) And now, of course, the load of balancing work and Eirik will seem much easier without school complicating things! Good news all around for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! GO YOU! What an accomplishment! I am so proud of you! ^___^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! I did my masters while working full time and I can't imagine the determination it would take to do it with a new little one as well. You rock =) Motherhood has changed many of my work aspirations as well so I can understand rethinking what you may want to do with you're degree...at least you have options!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hip Hip Hooray!! That's awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete