Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Surprise 9 Month Appointment

So today Eirik had a doctors appointment. It was supposed to be a follow up visit from when he was there 2 weeks ago for a sick visit. Well apparently since its so close to 9 months they just decided to go ahead and do all his 9 month appointment stuff while he was there! Now usually I wouldn't mind, but I wasn't there today. My husband took Eirik. In fact I had specifically taken off on the date we scheduled his 9 month appointment for so I could be there!

So, since my husband took him it means I don't have his length but I do have his weight: 21.6lbs! He has really slowed down in growth since he started becoming more mobile. I guess that makes sense, he's burning all those calories moving around EVERYWHERE! He's still in the 75 - 90th%. I'll have to pull out the tape measure and try and see if I can guess how long he is. I think he must be pretty long because a lot of his 12 - 18 month sleepers are starting to fit him perfectly and a few pairs of pants are even too short!

Apparently the little man got 1 shot and a vision test. I had no idea they did a vision test at 9 months! My husband said they attached electrodes to his head and made him watch a monitor with images on. The score is 1 - 5 and he got a 3, which apparently is good.

The doctor of course tried to give my husband advice about sleep... doing the cry it out method to get him to self sooth and moving him to his crib at night. While neither my husband or I are interested in doing cry it out we are going to try leaving him in his room at night. The reason for this is because we THINK its too overstimulating being in our room at night. Eirik has been having this awake period between 1 and 3 am. He'll fall back asleep but the second we put him in our bed he's wide awake again. Last night I played asleep while he had a conversation with the cat. Yes, he sat up, looked at the cat, took out his pacifier, and started talking and laughing to her. Then he decided that mommy and daddy made great climbing obstacles. After spending 2 hours rotating rocking him and me nursing him only to have him fall asleep and wake right back  up again we put him in his own bed... and he slept for 3 hours.

I have to confess here I am not ready for him to be in his own room. I love having him next to me at night. But, it seems that maybe Eirik is in his own way trying to say he is ready. We're going to experiment and see how it goes. I've learned parenthood is a series of experiments... trying things until you find something that works. and sometimes what you want to do and what actually works are 2 different things!

Finally here are a few pictures from the past few days!

Enjoying Pasta! Not sure how much he ate... but he enjoyed himself!

IMG_5008

Helping me fold diapers! I thought maybe putting it on his head would distract him... nope! He ignored it!

IMG_4976

Standing holding onto my pants!

IMG_4950

4 comments:

  1. I can't imagine still having Teddy in our room- he would NEVER sleep LOL. We take him into our room for a few minutes in the morning and if he isn't awake before then he is WIDE awake once he sees us and proceeds to shriek with delight, climb on us, pull our faces, etc- sometimes he lays his head down for a second only to pop back up a few seconds later. So it could definitely be a big help in your sleep troubles!
    Sorry you had to miss his 9 month appt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie!!

    If you measure him, put a book against the top of his head so you can get right to the top. And use your husband! It's a 2 person job:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't have said it better...parenthood is one giant experiment! KUP on how the sleeping in his own room goes. Kylie sleeps better there too and I put a humidifier in there (because of her colds) and it provides a little white noise that helps too.

    Love the pics! He's having a great time eating these days =) The diaper over the head is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck with getting him to stay in his own room! I'm attempting that slowly but it's not working out very well so far. I love the pics... He is just too darn cute!

    ReplyDelete