Thursday, December 23, 2010

Some Thoughts On The Internet

This is a topic i've been sort of kicking around for a while, but its come up on quite a few blogs I follow so I think i'm going to address it here at last.

How public is too public?

I am very aware that my blog is currently able to be read by anyone. And honestly that doesn't bother me too much... nothing I post on here is that shocking. I post a few opinions but typically my updates are limited to how Eirik is doing and what new things he is doing.

The older Eirik gets however the more I have begun to think about what I should be posting in a public forum. Does the whole world really need access to pictures of my son? I love sharing them, but I don't know who is looking at them. This subject is one that became in the front of my mind a few months ago. On facebook there was a huge outcry because a grown man with weird fetishes as his likes was joining cloth diaper sites. Because of this a lot of cloth diaper sites took down any public photos in their group because there was concern over who was looking at them.

I'm sort of torn. On the one hand I really want to leave parts of this blog public but on the other I think I need the option to protect some things starting next year. The problem here is that blogger will not let me just protect some posts and not others... it seems I have to make the entire blog privet. Of course that is an option, however i have no issues with having blogs concerning baby items I find useful and cloth diaper reviews public. In fact I have been toying around with starting another blog that was dedicated to cloth diapering, breastfeeding, and whatnot.

So be prepared my followers for some changes next year.

4 comments:

  1. I've had friends recently go private and I've thought about doing the same thing. It's tricky, wondering who's looking at your blog. I like to think it's just other moms but who knows? Now you've got me thinking too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've read my mind!!! I've been trying to decide the same thing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do one of both? How hard would it be to just post the public stuff in two sites?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny how this seems to be on everyone's mind. Wordpress has an easy way to import your entire blog and then make the whole thing or just certain posts password-protected. My plan is to do that and then leave my blogger blog out there through when I got pregnant since I think some low responders might find hope in my story, I'd still like it out there. But removing names and identifying characteristics. Maybe you could do something similar and just leave out the posts that you think might be of interest?

    ReplyDelete