Saturday, November 7, 2009

Please do not touch...

So, at 22 weeks I finally look pregnant! Wahoo! 


22 weeks 11-6-09


Sometime over the past week i totally popped out. It seemed to really happen overnight too. And I know I really look pregnant because I had the first person ever touch my stomach! And I was totally unprepared for it so all the snappy comebacks in my head just disappeared.


So I was standing in the lunch room yesterday morning toasting a bagel and another women comes in. I know her, but I can never remember her name. Shes one of those hi in the hallway people, not someone i've ever had a real conversation with. She comes up to me, touches my stomach, and goes "i see something popping out here. Congratulations". I muttered a thank you quickly, totally unprepared and caught off guard. Afterwards I thought of all the things I should have said/done... but alas, too late. Why is it now i'm pregnant strange people feel they have a right to just touch my stomach?? Its still MY body! I mean, this woman and I have never had a conversation yet she feels its okay to come up to me and touch my stomach! I'm sure this will happen again so I must prepare myself with snappy comebacks for next time...

1 comment:

  1. Been there & done that. I've had patients that I've never met before in my life feel right at home trying to touch my belly. I usually am able to grab their hand before they reach it and tell them as politely as possible that I'm not comfortable with that and I need my space. Sometimes they're ok with it, other times they're totally offended. But who cares! It's YOUR body! I still haven't had the guts to just randomly return the "touch the stomach" favor but I swear one of these days I'm going to.

    Head's up though. As pregnancy progresses - the invasion of privacy only gets worse. The other day I was asked if I was dilated yet! Seriously, when has my cervix been ok to discuss? Just thought you'd appreciate knowing what may be coming your way & give you a chance to come up with a reply.

    CONGRATS on your cute baby bump!

    ReplyDelete