Friday, November 27, 2009

Cats and Pregnant Women

There is a lot out there about animals responding to pregnant women differently. Sometimes they become more protective or more affectionate. At first I thought Caligula's new found affection was due to the colder weather, however I am starting to think it really is pregnancy related. Caligula has always enjoyed cuddling with me, but not to the point where he smothers me, and he has never been a big kneeder. For those who don't have cats, sometimes when a cat sits on you they kneed their paws into a blanket or into your lap... its a comfort thing from when they were kittens. Its never been Caligula's thing... however all of a sudden hes all over me at night. He has to cuddle up next to me or on top of me. There are many times when i awake in the middle of the night to roll over and realize I have a cat stuck to me! And he doesn't go away, he just gets comfortable again and goes back to sleep. And hes kneeding the blankets too... another odd thing. I'm putting it down to him responding to the pregnancy hormones. The other cats are acting normally... no changes in them. Sebastian still sits on my head every morning, laia ignores me unless she wants food, and hesiod freaks out the second I try and touch him. But, Caligula has always been my cat... so maybe it makes sense he is more sensitive to things. Hes always been the cuddly cat... even as a kitten he would ball himself up on me. There was many a morning I would roll over to hit the alarm clock and find a kitten underneath me. So, any other pregnant women with cats who are acting differently??

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting to hear what your cat's reaction to your pregnancy was. I have wondered what my cat will do. He is already very snuggly and kneads all the time.

    ReplyDelete