Sunday, November 8, 2009

Standing up for the cat!

So  non cat lovers tend to feel that cats aren't as good as dogs. I know that starts the whole "cats vs dogs" debate, but I can't help it! I love animals. My whole life I have had cats, so thats what I prefer, however I would love to get a dog someday. The place I live right now however just isn't very conducive to a dog. There isn't anywhere nice to walk a dog and I have a very tiny backyard. I don't really want a small dog, I want a larger breed dog which would require more exercise and space. So, before I start this mini rant I want to say that I do like dogs! Cats just always seem to get the short end of the stick.

I'm always hearing "cats aren't as affectionate as dogs". NOT true. My cats are very affectionate to me. They follow me around the house.  No matter what room in the house I am in, there is at least one cat... usually there are 3. At night when I get into bed at least one cat is always on the bed with me, sometimes sleeping physically on me. And its not just my cats, its cats in general. When i was a kid I slept with my bedroom door open specifically so that the cats would sleep on my bed. When I went to a friends house who had cats, I typically woke up with a cat cuddled up next to me or on top of me. So, cats are affectionate. Sure, they may not act exactly like dogs... but they show their affection in different ways. And no, my cats don't act like that just so i'll feed them. They have their "feed me" attitudes and their "I want to cuddle with you" attitudes.

What brings this up? I was reading one of my pregnancy books the other day and it discussed introducing pets to the new baby. There was a statement that said something along the lines of cats adapt better than dogs generally to babies because they are not as attached to humans. WHAT?? I put the book down I was so angry. Cats aren't as attached as dogs? Thats a pretty general blanket statement to make. I know my cats are pretty attached to me. I think cats just tend to show their territorial side differently than dogs. Where a dog will bark or growl a cat will pee on something. Its the same thing, different attitude. I know dogs pee on things too... i'm just using it as an example. I'm just tired of the whole "cats don't love you" thing. Yes, its amusing in jokes, but sometimes enough is enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment