Friday, February 26, 2010

My stomach says feed me!

So the one question I have gotten asked MILLIONS of times is "what are you craving?". Thats a hard question for me because I LOVE food... seriously... food is my biggest weakness. There is a reason that I spent middle, high, and most of college 50+ lbs overweight. I don't discriminate when it comes to food... there is very little I do not like. Off the top of my head all I can think of is licorish flavored things and insanely spicy food. I'll try anything once. But, looking back over the past 9 months I have definitely had some cravings and aversions. Of course they have changed a lot... go figure!

In the 1T it was veggies. The only vegetable I really enjoyed were peas... everything else tasted blech to me. In fact in the 1T most food tasted that way... except fries. All i had to do was get a wiff of french fries and it set my craving off. That and the Kashi TLC Original crackers. I lived on those for weeks... before I started taking Zofran it was the only thing I could stomach... and yes, it had to be those crackers. I tried other brands and flavors.

The next big craving I had was cheese flavored things. Baked Cheetos were high on my list of foods closely followed by sunchips. Now I have always enjoyed both of these products, however I have never felt the need to have them like I did while pregnant. I would actually buy them from the vending machine at work, something I never do. This was closely followed by my cherry phase. Anything cherry flavored I wanted. Cherry pie, cherry turnover, cherry cheesecake... heck, i almost just bought the cherry pie filling and ate that! Thankfully the cherry phase didn't last long. My last big craving has been cinnamon flavored baked goods. Cinnamon rolls, apple fritters, coffee cake... anything baked and cinnamony with butter. That and ranch flavored things (Such as cool ranch doritoes). However the baked goods craving has been worse then anything else. Yes I have actually broken down and either baked or bought insanely unhealthy food simply to stop myself from going crazy.

Now onto a few aversions. The first one I had was chocolate. It wasn't one of those "eww chocolate" aversions it was more like I had NO taste for it. For a few months the thought of chocolate made me go "meh". Now anyone who knows me knows i LOVE chocolate. I keep it at my desk at work, at home... i have to have something chocolatey somewhere at all times. However for months I wanted nothing to do with it. My other biggest aversion has been ground turkey and chicken. Typically I don't buy ground beef. Why? Well, mostly because the ground turkey is so much cheaper to buy lean then the ground beef is. However for some reason the taste of ground turkey is disgusting to me. I can eat turkey and chicken in other forms... but ground? Nope. So needless to say I have been buying a lot more ground beef recently. The ground turkey/chicken aversion has actually been the only consistent thing my entire pregnancy. Everything else has come and gone.

I'm trying to not feel too guilty these last few weeks about what I am eating. I'm not going crazy by any means... but i know that soon it'll be back to my healthy eating and watching what I eat. Of course the occasional indulgence is okay... but looking back I can tell you why i've gained as much weight as I have! Well, live and learn right?

2 comments:

  1. Don't feel guilty -- but be prepared to feel even hungrier if you're planning on nursing! I was more hungry the first month of breastfeeding than I think I was my whole pregnancy! Good thing it also burns calories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately, I have been the definition of a pregnancy cliche b/c I can't get enough dill pickles- but they have to be either kosher or polish dill...and then I have to salt them! I think one of my biggest aversions has been buffalo chicken tenders and I used to eat them at least once a week before I was preggo. It's crazy how the love/hate of certain stuff has come and gone! :)

    ReplyDelete