Thursday, September 2, 2010

New Respect For Exclusive Pumpers!

I have always been in awe of those that exclusively pump. I have to be honest here, I HATE pumping. Even now after being back at work for 2 months I still hate it. I have a hands free pumping bra, i bring a magazine to read, I play on my phone... but I still find it tedious. The thing is Eirik is such an efficient nurser he eats in a fraction of the time it takes me to pump! So while at home I nurse him every few hours for about 5 - 10 minutes at work its 15 minutes... plus the added set up and clean up. Plus, while pumping doesn't hurt, its not exactly the most comfortable feeling in the entire world.

Yesterday I worked an 11 hour day. It sucked. I went in prepared for the long day however. Unfortunately since I had to go to the doctors yesterday morning I still left my house at about 7:30am so its not like I got to skip a pumping session at work. That means at work yesterday I had 4 pumping sessions. Then i got home and Eirik was already fast asleep which meant another pumping session before bed. He's recently been only waking up once a night so if I didn't pump I would wake up VERY uncomfortable a few hours later. All that pumping yesterday really made me respect those who exclusively pump even more! I cant imagine having to do that all day every day. So, to those of you who do exclusively pump, GO YOU!

On a side note I waned to just make a little comment about Eirik's eye. I've gotten a few questions asked recently about what happened to his eye. I realized in some of the recent photos it looks really nasty and red. He still has his clogged tear duct in one eye and every now and then he gets flair up infections from it. It stinks but sadly I can't really do much about it right now. We're massaging under his eye to help clear the tear duct and I'm optimistic it will work because it worked for the other eye. So, that's whats up with his eye!

IMG_3777

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya on the pumping! I can't imagine exclusivly pumping. Happy you made it through your long day. Hope Eirik's tear duct gets better really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its actually not so bad. I drive alot in my job, so I just pump in the car with my hands-free bra, lol!The truckers love it! (joking, I'm covered!)And uaully I only pump 4 times/day, sometimes 3 if I get too busy. So, its not too bad. I am still able to give them breaskmilk, which is most important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate pumping too, especially when I can only eek out a couple ounces. It feels like such a waste (although I do it mainly for selfish reasons- so I can get out of the house once in a while).

    Poor little guy! Hopefully the tear duct opens soon!

    ReplyDelete