Friday, October 15, 2010

A Day To Remember...

Today, October 15th, is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Rememberance Day.

It is estimated that 15 - 20% of all pregnancies will end in a loss. This means that we all know someone who has been affected by this... even if we ourselves are not aware of it because that person may be suffering in silence.

Miscariage, stillbirth, and infant death are a very taboo topic today in society. It isn't usually until after one experiences one of these first hand that they hear others with a similar story. Every women has her own reason for not sharing her experiences... some find it to difficult to explain, some find themselves to grief stricken, and others may find that they are embarrassed... some probably don't talk about it because of the reactions and responses they receive.

Today I still grieve for the loss I suffered on March 18th, 2009. Today I will look at the photograph of that positive pregnancy test that still lingers on my hard drive and wonder just what that baby would have looked like. Would it have been a girl? Would she have blue eyes like me? Today I am hugging Eirik just a little tighter knowing what a miracle he truly is. Today I am reminded just how delicate and fragile life is.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for the loss you suffered Emma. I had an extrememly early loss in November of 2008 and will join you in hugging Kylie just a little tighter today!

    ReplyDelete