Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I need a caffeine IV STAT!

Coffee... when I was younger I hated the taste of it... in college and my early 20s I only drank things like mochas where the flavoring added to the coffee made it so you could hardly taste the coffee at all! Slowly I began to drink plain old coffee but it was sporadic. Now? I get in to work and head to the lunch room to get myself a nice large mug of coffee... extra caffeine please!

Daytimes with Eirik are wonderful! Hes happy and so much fun! He has such a mellow go with the flow temperament... he's quite happy to just play with his feet! Even naps are pretty good now! Sometimes he'll fight them a bit but typically he goes down and stays down for about 1 - 2 hours. Nights however are a nightmare!

I stupidly and naively thought a few months ago I would be posting about how Eirik was sleeping through the night. He had started to do long stretches of 6 hours of sleep! PROGRESS! I saw myself sleeping again. Oh how the joke was on me. The hour long nighttime battles to get him to sleep followed by waking up every 2 hours or so... different strategies have been tried and none have worked. I have come to realize I am a human pacifier.

Yes, even though he has a pacifier at night nothing but me will do. I've relented and accepted that the best way to get him to fall asleep is for me to nurse him... even if this takes 30 minutes of me sitting switching from side to side. When he wakes at night I will try and give him the pacifier but no... he wants me.

I broke down this morning and purchased a copy of the no cry sleep solution... I just can't do cry it out. I know, some people swear by this method, but its to heartbreaking for me and I just can't let him cry like that.  I'll let you guys know how it works...

So until we figure out this sleeping thing keep the coffee coming!!!

3 comments:

  1. Ugh! I'm so sorry about the night time sleep =( It's so hard to feel exhausted all the time. I can understand not being able to let him cry it out. Before I had a baby I thought "what's the big deal", now I totally get it. Hope the book is a perfect fix, KUP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that you are not able to sleep. I do not think I will be able to handle the cry it out scenario either!! Hope that the book is helpful ... I am very interested to hear more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you considered a few shots of whiskey... so he gets just a little in your breast milk and you get the calming, knock out mommy effects? LOL! just kidding! Good luck, it will get better. Well, eventually :-) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete