Friday, October 16, 2009

A movie recomendation

So last night I watched the movie "Away We Go". It was a small budget movie that came out a few months ago. Based on the previews I thought "oh, that looks cute" but i found it to be MUCH better than I anticipated. The plot of the movie is a couple in their mid 30s is pregnant and are trying to decide where to settle down and raise their child. They go on a cross country adventure visiting their friends and family in different locations, trying to figure out where to settle down. Each person they visit has their own interesting family style... some more hysterical than others! I don't really want to give away too much because its a REALLY good movie. Ultimately they realize what they do and don't want to be as parents and realize there was only ever one option for where they were going to live. Its cute, sweet, and funny. It has John Krasinski from The Office in it and his character in the movie is a lot like his character in the office: sweet, funny, and a little dorky but will do anything for someone he cares about.

It was interesting in a sense watching the movie and seeing such extreme parenting styles. While in each of the parenting styles there are aspects you can relate to or agree with (mostly...) there are other aspects that have you sitting there laughing because its so off the wall its funny. And while watching it, I found myself questioning my own ideas about parenting. While its something Scott and I have talked about a lot, its something I think you have to keep talking about and keep discussing. Of course i'm not naive... i know that no matter how much you talk before having a child once you do have the child things change. But I just get the impression that especially today people don't think about what kind of a parent they want to be. I don't know if that makes sense... its just something i've been thinking about lately. It also makes one think about their parents and how they were raised too. I have to give my mom a lot of credit because in the scheme of things she had to be both parents most of the time. Looking back even when my dad was here, he really wasn't. My dad tended to play favorites more, whether he realized it at the time or not. He tended to play favorites to the baby... for a long time that was my brother and then suddenly it was our other half sibblings. I guess I never fully appreciated how hard it must have been for my mom. Its a bit of a scary thought sometimes realizing that in a few months you'll be somebodies mom and have to make those calls...

This post probably doesn't make much sense as i'm exhausted. But, in a nutshell, go rent "Away We Go". Its worth it! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment