Friday, March 19, 2010

Why The 41 Week Pregnant Lady Shouldn't Cook

So my nesting is still going crazy... last night was no exception. I had food in the fridge that my husband had pulled out to cook, but then for some reason it never got cooked, so it needed to be cooked! first up a beef roast which I tossed in the crockpot. Nice and easy, no worries there. Then I moved on to the chicken breast. Usually I enjoy cooking, but I really wanted my leftover pasta so instead of cooking the chicken for dinner I figured I would boil it up and then it could be used in a sandwich or something later. I very rarely boil meat, but I knew i could toss it in, let it boil while I cleaned, and then shove it in the fridge. Gotta love multi-tasking! So I tossed it in and began doing dishes, cleaning the kitchen, all those chores I usually HATE. By the time that was done the chicken was also cooked so I quickly tossed it in a container and into the fridge. Then my crazy nesting brain said "Wait, I must clean up this one dirty pot!" Bad nesting brain...

In the process of removing said pot filled with just boiled water I managed to splash the water right over my stomach. Of course by the time I realized what I had done and grabbed a clean cold wet paper towel it was too late... i had a nice chunk of skin missing from my stomach and a very pretty looking 2nd degree burn. Of course the first thing I did was rush upstairs to google "spilling boiling water on pregnant stomach" to which I discovered this is quite common. My mind knew that Eirik was well protected in there, but of course I had to get some reassurance. I then looked into the best treatment of said burn and got many conflicting answers. At this point it was almost 9pm so I began the hunt for a bandage only to find I had nothing big enough to cover the burn up. So, out my husband went for large guaze bandages. I decided to just put some cream over the burn, cover it with guaze, and check it out this morning.

Since it still looked rather nasty this morning I decided to play it safe and go to the doctors. I went to one of the quick walk in clinics because they opened at 8 and I could just stop in on my way to work. The doctor was nice and assured me that it wasn't serious and gave me a topical burn cream to use and told me to keep it covered with guaze like I already was.

Of course at this point I am more angry with myself then anything else. I've been so careful and now, at the VERY end, I do something dumb like this... something that I could have avoided if I had just let the water cool for a whole 5 minutes before removing it from the stove. But no, I had to clean that pot RIGHT then. No more messing with boiling liquids for me... i'm leaving that to someone else!

3 comments:

  1. That stinks! Sorry you got a burn right on your belly...hope it isn't hurting too much =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek! I hope your tummy doesn't hurt too much! Hopefully that cream will help it heal quickly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The same thing happened to me when I was pregnant with my daughter. I was cooking dinner one night, spilled boiling water on my very pregnant belly and I was left with a horrible burn. Mine was pretty bad - I had a HUGE blister that left severe scarring. The scar is still there 18 months later and it still looks awful.

    These things happen; it was an accident. I can assure you that your little man is safe and sound. I worried about it as well, but all was okay. :)

    ReplyDelete