Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Breastfeeding Success!!

After visiting the lactation consultant yesterday Eirik and I started the process of relearning the latch. Needless to say, last night was more then a little frustrating. He kept trying to latch on the way we had been and when I tried to get him to do it the right way he would get frustrated! It doesn't help that he loves to try and shove his hands in the way so I can't see what I was doing. To make things even more fun he has some sniffles which means he didn't sleep well either.

Today my husband and I had decided to go to Target. Previously i'd just been sending him, but after the success yesterday at Trader Joes I decided today I was going to visit Target! We arranged and timed everything so we left the house as soon as he finished eating. The plan was to go to Target and get everything done before he woke up again. The store is 10 minutes down the road and I didn't need that much stuff so I had hoped that he would sleep the entire time. We made it through almost the entire store and then, in the check out line, he awoke. My husband and I went over to the starbucks in Target, got some coffee, and I sat in a quiet area in the back and nursed him. Even though I knew no one could see me it was the most nerve wrecking experience! I kept looking around feeling like someone was going to see something or come ask me to move or that I was going to accidentally flash someone. But instead all that happened was he latched on almost perfectly and ate! Yes, thats right, after a frustrating night of not latching correctly for some reason today in Target he decided to do it first time!

Now I am just keeping everything crossed his snuffles from last night and earlier this morning don't turn into a full out cold. He was really congested this morning but i suctioned it out and he's seemed to be fine since then. No fever or any other real cold symptoms. I'm really hoping maybe something just stuffed him up! The last thing I need is a sick baby!

3 comments:

  1. Horray for Latching success at Target! I recently read somewhere that the first public breastfeeding outing is the most nervewracking! Congratulations on your success :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! You're 2nd outing and already a breast feeding in public pro, I'm impressed =)

    Can you explain the incorrect vs correct latching sometime in a future post? I understand if it's something hard to explain...just curious for all the tips I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad things are falling into place with the breastfeeding!! Henry still tries to get his hands in the way - when he was tiny though, DH would hold his hands away for me while I tried to get the latch right!

    ReplyDelete