Wednesday, April 14, 2010

One Day I Shall Sleep Again...

Ah sleep, how I miss you! I have always been a person who loves sleep. I'm one of those "i need a solid 8 hours to function" people. In college my friends thought I was weird because I went to bed at 10 or 11. My reason? 8am classes and I exercised before hand, therefore I was getting up at 6:30 every day. I know everyone says you don't sleep when you have kids, to sleep when the baby sleeps, etc. I have to say I knew that sleep would be the one thing I would miss the most. It takes adjustment to go from a solid 8 hours to waking up every 2 - 3 hours for up to an hour to feed Eirik. Slowly however I think I am adapting to my new sleep schedule! I also am adjusting to going to bed later and getting up later. Before I was the person who was in bed by 9:30 and up at 6 or 7 and now I am up till midnight and sleeping till 9:30 or sometimes 10! Eirik has his fussy hour from about 8 till midnight so I know he's not going to go down to sleep between those times. After that I usually get a good chunk of about 3 - 4 hours before he's up again. After that its been hit or miss as to if he really goes back to sleep. This morning he did, but that was partly because I just let him sleep on my chest instead of putting him back in the cosleeper.


In other updates I had my 2 week check at the midwife yesterday. They peeled away the little sani strips covering my incision (I still haven't had the guts to look at it in a mirror!) and told me everything looked perfect. They said slow and steady as to resuming "normal" activities. I do feel better every day, but still its slow. Yesterday after my appointment we stopped at Trader Joes and I realized half way across the parking lot there was no way I was making it through the store. I reluctantly went back to the car and sent my husband in to shop instead. I just have to keep mentally telling myself over and over "it was major surgery".

On a more positive note my parents are coming tomorrow! I am very excited because I haven't seen then since last June. They are staying for 3 weeks, which is wonderful. Even though I'm sure they will go out and do their own thing it will be nice to have people around, especially in the evenings. I realized yesterday just how lonely I have been! My father in law came over and brought us dinner and it was nice to have more people around! Then I talked to my friend on the phone later and again, it was nice to have someone to talk to!

Now I am off to shower and eat lunch while Eirik takes his morning nap. Todays big adventure: we're starting cloth diapers!! I'm excited and nervous at the same time!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I'm an 8 hr a night girl too and expect that to be a really hard adjustment. Sounds like you're adjusting great though. Happy you are healing well and your parents are coming to visit =) KUP on the cloth diapers...I'm planning on using them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you describe your sleep patterns and schedule is exactly my life. I'm glad to know you are slowly adjusting - the lack of sleep has been one of my biggest fears and concerns.

    Very happy that you are healing well and that you will have company over the upcoming weeks.

    ReplyDelete