Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day 1 At Home!

So we've  been home now for just a little over 24 hours. The first thing I did when I got home was go "What the hell do I do now?!" I stood there staring at Eirik wondering what happened next. I knew I would be stuck upstairs mostly because that is where the bathroom is. First things first however: make pediatrician appointment for monday and send husband out for pain medicine! Overall day 1 went pretty well. It was a little weird at first being home and suddenly having a baby. Things I used to just do such as, get up and go pee, now required me to think about "well, what is he doing?" Thankfully hes not very mobile so its pretty much just me making sure he's happy. After my husband came home and drugged me up he took Eirik for a while, allowing me to get a much needed nap. I awoke 2 hours later totally disoriented and confused as to where I was and what was going on. Boy, i was tired!

The cats honestly were kind of indifferent to him. He smells funny to them and when he cries they get confused, but overall they just ignore him and stay away. Caligula did nuzzle Eirik's head twice yesterday, but that was because he had a hat on and Caligula couldn't smell the difference.

Bedtime however was another story. I have a cosleeper and had bought a little tent to go overtop to keep the cats out. Well, thanks to hormones I went crazy thinking that the second i turned off the lights the cats would jump on the top or he'd stop breathing or something bad would happen. So, my poor cats ended up kicked out of the bedroom after all. Honestly they reacted a lot better then I thought they would. We had a few scrabbling incidents, but nothing to horrible. I know, overprotective mommy mode and insane hormones probably made me crazy, but I slept better. Well, when I did sleep!

Last night he decided to cluster feed ALL night long. I'd do one side, he'd pass out, then 10 minutes later he'd want the other side... then he'd fall asleep AGAIN and i'd settle down thinking I had about an hour or two. Nope, within 30 - 40 minutes he was awake again, repeating this all night long. Thankfully he settled down this morning and I got a few hours of decent sleep! I didn't actually get out of bed until almost lunchtime! Most of the day has been spent feeding, but my milk supply is most definitely in now so hopefully he'll get into a more predictable pattern of feed/sleep.

I did go downstairs this evening to eat dinner and watch a movie. It felt nice just to not be upstairs anymore! Its really nice being out of the hospital but with the weather so nice outside i'm going stir crazy! We are going to the pediatrician monday, so that will get me out of the house a little bit. Maybe by next weekend, if i'm feeling better, i'll do something crazy like... go to Target!

Tomorrow is Easter and for the first time I can remember I am doing nothing... no cooking, no special easter dinner... nothing. I will however dress Eirik up in a cute easter outfit and take tons of photos of it!

Here is a picture from this evening: Eirik and Daddy having cuddle time. =)

IMG_1053

2 comments:

  1. Such a cute picture! Sounds like you're all adapting =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a freak about my cats too. Mine were in their crib in the nursery from day 1. On day two, we drove an hour outside of my city to find a lady who was selling a crib tent on craigslist. I could not sleep that first night I was so afraid of the cats smothering them. Now, I am scared to death of them being allergic. So, it never ends.

    ReplyDelete