Friday, April 9, 2010

The Slow Recovery

Today I am feeling more "normal" then I have since coming home. I know they say c-section recovery is hard and its major surgery... but I am one of those people who hates to be stuck doing nothing. I mentally feel fine, when i'm sitting/laying down I honestly feel perfectly normal. Its not until I get up to move or try and cough (which lets just say hurts like HELL... laughing, coughing, sneezing, anything like that) that I remember why I am stuck upstairs in the first place. The weather outside is beautiful and I would love nothing more then to take Eirik out somewhere yet I am still hardly making it up and down the stairs. 

But, today is better. I feel a lot less sore when I move around and even moving is a little bit easier. I'm not going to be out doing things at my usual pace any time soon, but I feel like maybe by the end of next week i'll be able to do something... like go to Target! Is it sad that I am looking forward to something as simple as going to Target?? 

The c-section itself has been really rough on me. I wasn't really mentally prepared for it so when it happened it threw me for a loop. I've never had any sort of surgery before and I wasn't really mentally prepared for how difficult these few weeks would be. As much as I would love to have more kids at the moment all I can think of is "what if I need another c-section?" I'm sure in a few years i'll have a different attitude about things... but at the moment thats all that I can think about. I don't know how I could go through this all over again, especially having one child. Maybe if I was more mentally prepared for the recovery and knew what to expect this wouldn't be so difficult for me. But, I guess unless you have to have a c-section for some reason you don't really plan on one and do that sort of research. 


2 comments:

  1. Awww, I'm glad to hear it's getting better, but of course you've been thrown for a loop. It is surgery, and not a minor one, and if you were warned ahead of time you could have done all sorts of research for other mommy tips, etc. And obviously been mentally ready. There's a possibility I might need one due to a low-lying placenta and I've got all my links and info gathered together already.

    As far as worrying about the next baby, don't you worry - you'll get the mommy amnesia that everyone talks about where everything seems not-so-bad when looking back on it ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear you're doing better Emma! When I had my LAP to remove fibroids I remember being unprepared for the full recovery. Hope every day brings more healing and that you're at Target before you know it =)

    ReplyDelete