Friday, April 23, 2010

Cloth Take 2

Yesterday we restarted with the cloth diapers. His diaper rash cleared up nicely and I purchased a cloth diaper safe diaper rash cream to use... so we have been disposable free for 24 hours now! I've discovered that I probably need to purchase a few more diapers to make it through a full 2 days without needing to do laundry. Right now we are at about a day and a half. I have tons or prefolds, however we only have 6 fitted and we are using the fitted overnight and prefolds in the day. The reason? Its easier to put a prefold on in reduced lighting when you are half asleep. =)

After 24 hours of cloth I have to say, its really just as easy as disposables. The actual time it takes to change the diaper is exactly the same! I'll never have to worry about running out of diapers and needing to run to the store because I know when I am low and can just throw them in the wash! Sure, the diapers themselves are a little bulky compared to disposables but its so much more cost efficient this way not to mention better for him! I've heard stories of babies getting chemical burns from the stuff that is put in disposable diapers to make them super absorbent! My next step is to purchase a few all in one, one sized type diapers to see how I like them. I like the prefolds and the fitted, but the all in one may be easier for going out.

Eirik is still stuffy, but doesn't seem to be having any other real symptoms so we're still keeping an eye on him. No chest congestion, cough, etc. His new thing however is that he refuses to sleep in his cosleeper... he wants to sleep on me. I'll put him in his cosleeper while he's fast asleep and within 5 - 10 minutes he's grunting, thrashing, and awake. I'm not sure if he just doesn't like being on his back or if he's got some mild stomach issues that make sleeping on his back uncomfortable. He'll sleep in bed next to  me in the crook of my arm so that his head is propped up. I'm thinking of getting one of those slightly inclined sleep positioners to see if that helps. Not that I don't love to cuddle with him, but my back is killing me in the morning!

Hopefully tomorrow night my parents will be here! They have rebooked their flight, so fingers crossed nothing else happens! Now I am off to have a quick shower before Eirik wakes up again!

3 comments:

  1. WOO-HOO for the cloth diapers! I'm happy to hear they are easy since I bought 20 of the little buggers (BumGenius ones). The inclined sleep pad sounds like a good idea, the other thing you may try is a warm swaddle wrap. Maybe he's getting cold when sleeping away from you since he doesn't have your body heat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which bumgenius did you buy? The all in one sized or the one sized?

    I thought about what you said about the warmth thing so when I put him down in his cosleeper last night I left my hand on his chest lightly which seemed to help him settle more! Hopefully tonight will go well again. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm, have you looked into reflux? I have two babies with it, and this sounds familiar. They grunted, thrashed, and arched their back alot. Also, Josh was very congested as well, and when we took him to the doctor, it was all reflux. It was the milk coming up and blocking his sinuses. He was stuffy and sounded girgly alot of times. Anyway, just a thought! Also, we have those sleep positioners that are at an angle and help alot.

    ReplyDelete