Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Pump

One of the things I invested good money in was a breastpump. Most of my baby items I got used or on clearance or borrowed however a pump was one of those things I KNEW I wanted a new one that was good. It was something I would be using 3X a day at least when I went back to work. I did my research and everyone under the sun recommended Medela. I chose the freestyle simply because it was more lightweight and portable. It was a tad more money, but I used a coupon to save major money.

Before going back to work I started pumping once a day to build up a freezer supply. I also got myself very familiar with my pump. I remember the first time I took the thing out and tried to use it. After spending about 15 minutes putting the parts together I had to actually use the thing. Now that should be simple however its a double pump. So, here is the question... how do you hold both bottles over yourself and then turn the pump on?? With great difficulty! And then there is a button so when you have letdown it will change the sucking type, so again you have to juggle the apparatus so you can hit the letdown button. That in itself took a few tries! Nothing quite prepares you for that sucking sound that is being made. I have to admit I felt rather foolish at first sitting, clutching the breastshields to my chest, attempting to change the settings on the pump. But, after a few more tries I became pretty good at it. It wasn't so difficult to change the settings and I even purchased a corset to allow for hands free pumping!

And then I went back to work. There is nothing more tedious then spending 15 minutes sitting in a small empty room listening to the groaning noise as the pump works. There is no official pumping area at my job so I simply took over an old office area that is no longer in use. The little area is filled with old computers that I need to get the IT guy to move. So I sit there and try and relax and enjoy my 15 minute "break"  but instead I find myself thinking about how much i'd rather be at home feeding Eirik. Pumping makes me plain old depressed. Then there is no running water in the room since its an office so I have to pack up the pump parts into a bag and take them to the bathroom to wash and dry. The whole process ends up taking more like 25 minutes instead of the quick 15 I had anticipated. I know I am doing the best thing for Eirik by pumping, but after only 2 days I am already wondering "how long can I keep this up???" Maybe if I had work to do while I pumped or a computer to look at the internet on.

I love my pump... I just hate pumping... 

5 comments:

  1. I am sorry the pumping is so hard at work -- I wish more places of employment would make it easier for women to come back to work. I hope it gets easier for you! Do you have a phone that you could read email on or look up things on the internet? Maybe that would help. Or a good book to read? I have not experienced pumping yet so I have no idea what you can and can not do -- just a few thoughts though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, that sounds like such a drag. Would it be worth talking to your HR dept at work about setting up a lactation room off the bathroom, with a sink? My workplace has one, but I know alot of places in this country are hopelessly backwards on this.

    Also, I'm not sure if this would help with your issues (I'm not a pumping expert yet ;), but friends of mine having recommended taking an old jogging bra and cutting slits by the nipples and kind of hooking up your own pump holder -- they sell them too, but they're a ripoff.

    Can I ask where you found your Medela coupon? I'm planning on buying one and would love to save some money! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry Emma. I wish I had advice to offer you on this front :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound like a true struggle! I'm also planning on pumping when I return to work so if you find any secrets to make it easier...or at least more tolerable please share =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made my own bra too!! Its great! I just took an old, good fitting one, and cut an X in the center. It makes it so much easier. Also, I pump in the car on my way to and from work, which I know some can't do, but ot also cuts out on time. (trust me, you get used to being a pro at it!). If you have any questions, just ask. I have been an exclusive pumper for 5 months now!

    ReplyDelete