Monday, June 14, 2010

Updates on Sleep and Breastfeeding!

So today I suddenly realized that Eirik and I now have this breastfeeding thing down! He latches super well and is a pretty efficient eater! Gone are the long 40 minute nursing sessions and now when he eats its typically only a total of 10, maybe 15 minutes. Hes still a grazer much to my frustration, enjoying more frequent short nursing then long ones. But, I can't complain too much. He now tells me when he is done by pulling off and talking to me. Its actually quite adorable because he looks up at me and starts cooing and grinning! Last night we also successfully did a nursing session while I was laying down in bed! The past times when i've tried he's fallen off or gotten frustrated but last night he just popped himself on and I went back to sleep!

Sleep is another thing that has gotten better. We're not sleeping through the night, but his first stretch tends to be 3 - 4 hours! After that its typically about another 2 -3. This means that right now he goes down about 9, wakes up about 12:30, goes back down about 1, wakes up again about 3:30, and then sometimes if i'm really lucky he's not up again until 5:30 or 6... and if i'm SUPER lucky he'll just want a little snack before going back to sleep till 7! This means that theoretically i'll only be up twice a night for feedings once I go back to work. More then I wanted, but much more doable then the 3, 4, or even 5 times I was getting up before! And the difference between 2 - 3 hours of sleep and 3 - 4 hours is AMAZING.

He's also becoming much more consistent with napping. I wouldn't say he has a set schedule down, but its becoming more predictable! Of course this will all probably change with me returning to work next week (insert BIG sad face here) but we'll have to see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're both doing great =) Sorry you have to return to work...I'll be interested to hear what you find works best. I'm sure you'll come up with some great ideas to make it easier.

    ReplyDelete