Thursday, August 19, 2010

Back To Basics

When you have a baby you get advice everywhere. Parents, friends, coworkers, the internet, strange people you've never met before... EVERYWHERE. One of the things that a ton of people swear by when you have a newborn is swaddling, sushing and sucking... the 3 S's. I think there may be a 4th one but I can't remember it off the top of my head. For the first few weeks of Eirik's life he was swaddled up every night... then this weird early summer hit and the swaddling went RIGHT out the window. However we never really had any issues putting him to sleep so I didn't worry to much.

Fast forward to now. Bedtime is becoming a nightmare. I always could nurse him to sleep. We'd go upstairs, he'd nurse for a good 20 minutes, and slowly drift off. If that didn't do the trick a few minutes of cuddling while he sucked on his pacifier did the trick. Now however it seems like every night I am doing an elaborate routine just to get him asleep. We've rocked, we've sushed, we've done the pacifier, we've done the hand on their backs...  you name it i've tried it. Tonight however I was tired and so not in the mood for a 30 minute fight on sleep. So I pulled out... the blanket.

I was worried he would freak out the second I got him wrapped up. Instead he stared at me and started to blink as if he was drowsy. Was this actually working?? I gently laid him down in his cosleeper and lay on the bed next to him, my hand on his stomach. The blinking got longer and within 10 minutes he was out cold. Yes folks, 10 minutes and not ONE cry of protest. He just slowly nodded off. After he was out cold I gently removed the blanket (its STILL way to hot for that all night) and he is still passed out happy as a clam!

I now have a secret weapon to help get him to sleep! We'll see if this works again of if it was just a one off thing.

IMG_3602

2 comments:

  1. Kylie loves being swaddled too, hope the secret weapon is a dependable new tool =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! And I love his dimples!

    ReplyDelete