Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Happy World Breastfeeding Week!

This week is world breastfeeding week!! I've given a lot of thought of how to structure a post about breastfeeding. While I am all gung ho about it, I know there are some of you out there who aren't... and that's okay! You guys are doing what is best for your family and your situation. I could start listing the many benefits of breastfeeding here but I know that many of you are tired of hearing those facts. If you breastfeed you know them and if you formula feed you don't want to be made to feel guilty for your choice. So, instead I am going to talk a bit about beginning to breastfeed. I think a lot of people start out with the intentions of breastfeeding but give up because its hard and they think they are doing something wrong. I am by no means a pro on breastfeeding, but I just wanted to share a few things i've learned in the past 4 months.

1. Breastfeed as soon and as often as possible after birth! I know its tempting to let the nurse take the baby for a few hours so you can sleep but the more they suck the quicker your milk will come in! Supply and demand!

2. Drink LOTS of water. I thought I was insane the first few weeks after giving birth because I was thirsty ALL The time! You should be drinking 10 - 13 glasses of water a day! Not drinking enough water can also effect your milk supply. So drink up!

3. Eat! Like water, you need MORE food breastfeeding then you did when pregnant! Not eating enough can also cause supply problems!

4. Get help! Just because some babies naturally have an amazing latch doesn't mean yours will. It may not be as simple as "put baby to breast, let baby suck". If you are having problems, talk to a lactation consultant... and do it BEFORE the problem gets worse. I stupidly thought I could fix my problem and ended up in a WORLD of pain that could have been prevented had I just gotten help sooner!

5. If one lacatation consultant doesn't help... find another! I must have talked to 3 different lactation consultants and about 5 different nurses about how to breastfeed before getting it right. And I have to say the way I did it wasn't exactly the way ANYONE showed me. I took all the tips and tricks and finally got it to work. Every baby is different! Each time I asked for help I got a little bit better at figuring out what to do!

6. Get comfortable! Initial nursing sessions can be LONG... I know sometimes I would be sitting in the same place for 45 minutes! When he was having a growth spurt sometimes the time between feedings was only about 20 minutes or so... so you can imagine how long I was tied to one place! Find a position that is comfortable for you! Just because everyone likes the cross cradle hold doesn't mean you do too! Same goes for nursing pillows. Just because your friend loved them doesn't mean they will work for you!

7. Have something to do! I know they say breastfeeding is bonding with your baby... and yes, I spent a lot of quiet time feeding Eirik and bonding with him... but after a while you really want to look at something else. Do what makes you comfortable. Some people simply want the quiet bonding time... others can use the time to catch up on e-mail while others read. Find what works for you and make sure to have whatever it is nearby. You're gonna be seated for a while. =)

8. Just because they nurse all the time dosent mean your supply is low! Eirik had a TON of growth spurts the first few months which at times made me worry I had supply issues. However he was gaining weight just fine and when I thought I couldn't take the round the clock nursing anymore he would stop. Yes, some people do have supply issues, but a lot of people freak out because of round the clock eating.

9. Watch for fuss foods! Have a gassy baby? What are you eating?? Some babies are more sensitive then others to what mom eats. Thankfully Eirik has very few issues... i feel VERY lucky for that! The only thing I have to cut back on is tomato heavy products... they give him a diaper rash!

10. Every baby is different! Some babies will sleep a lot, some don't. Some have periods where all they want to do is eat (Every night from 8 - 12 for Eirik for MONTHS). Some babies eat quickly, some slower... just know that as long as your baby is healthy and thriving its going okay. =)

2 comments:

  1. I'm not having kids, but I wanted to let you know that this looks really helpful for those people looking to breastfeed! Just a thumbs up for being awesome ^___^ <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous suggestions! Thanks for participating for World Breastfeeding Week!

    ReplyDelete