Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Supermom!

Whenever I have an interview they always ask that dreaded question "what is your greatest weakness". My answer to that question is always the same... i'm a yes person. I am known for biting off more then I can chew just because I want to make everyone happy and the end result is I am a big ball of stress but everything gets done. Apparently this applies to home as well as work.

I have enough on my plate... really. I have Eirik to come home to every night and its really hit or miss how well he sleeps. Some nights he goes down with  no fight and stays asleep and other nights its a constant up and down. Then I have schoolwork to finish. And then there is all the prep work I have to do for the next day... getting bottles ready, making lunch, and general household stuff such as stuffing diapers and doing dishes. Downtime? Whats that! So when we were discussing my friend at works upcoming birthday I was shocked to find myself saying "oh, i'll make a cake!".

Yes folks, before my brain could stop myself it was out there. I'll make a cake! Here's the kicker... i am not a box mix kind of gal. I LOVE baking (thanks mom!). I am that annoying person at Christmas that bakes about 5 kinds of cookies none of which are your standard chocolate chip cookie. So what did I decide I wanted to make for my friend? Cheesecake. A marble swirl cheesecake with an oreo crumb crust and cherries on top. My thought was this... Eirik goes to bed early enough that I can make the cake after he does. Great thought right?

One problem... its in the 90s outside which means the upstairs of my house is an oven which means Eirik is asleep in my living room in the pack and play. I have a small house... my downstairs is a living room, kitchen, and dining room and thats it. Needless to say every time I turned on the mixer I cringed fearing it would wake him up. Thankfully he slept through the noise and only awoke after I had already put the cheesecake in the oven.

So yes, here I am at 9 at night, my kitchen smelling of wonderful cheesecake, preparing to start my homework for the night. One of these days i'll get my brain used to saying No...

3 comments:

  1. I do love and appreciate your ability when it comes to making Christmas cookies! Just saying... though hopefully since I will still be on maternity leave come December 25... I too will have a lot of fun, yummy cookies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a saint Emma! But you know what? Your baking will make you the most popular mom on the block around the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness Emma, that's so sweet of you! But you're right, the word "no" must enter the vocabulary =)

    ReplyDelete