Saturday, July 24, 2010

Can we turn down the heat please??

Stepping outside makes one feel like they have stepped into an oven! My poor husband is outside as I type this installing Eirik's new carseat in my car! Of all the days we decide to do this! The upstairs of my house isn't air conditioned... needless to say I am spending the day downstairs. Sadly our house isn't that big so that means all day i'm pacing between the kitchen/dining area and living room. Its almost like when I just got home from the hospital and was stuck upstairs! I have decided that this afternoon we're all going to the mall just because I am going crazy sitting around the house!! I should stay home and work on my midterm... but walking around a cool air conditioned mall with a ice cold starbucks coffee just sounds too nice to pass on! Here is a picture of us playing dress up with Eirik today... he's ready to go brave the heat as you can see!

No Title

I have come to the conclusion that Eirik is fully capable of sleeping for 6 - 8 hour stretches at a time. I've noticed at night when he's in the swing he sleeps really well...and not even when its turned on! Last night around 11:30 I woke up from an insanely bad dream... the kind where I rolled over and clung to my husband for an hour and had to convince myself it was just a dream. Anyway, I decided to turn off the swing and let Eirik wake up to eat. Surprise surprise he didn't wake up till 3! That means he slept from 8 - 3... and from 11:30 - 3 without the swing on. So, my thought is the reason he sleeps badly upstairs is because of the heat. Either that or he just doesn't find the cosleeper comfortable anymore because he's getting so big. So this brings us to the question... where does he sleep now??

As i said in my last post, the swing is near the end of its lifespan so hes going to be sleeping in a pack and play in the living room for a while. But what about upstairs in my bedroom? I am not quite ready yet to move him to his own room for so many reasons... i love cosleeping with him... and i love spending a few hours at night bedsharing. HOWEVER... i do enjoy getting sleep without him kicking and squirming next to me. Hence why the cosleeper was wonderful... i could reach over and touch him but still have my space! With the cosleeper also nearing the end of its life span the options seem limited... bedshare all night or move him to his own crib. Well, i've done a little research and talking to coworkers and come up with a few alternatives. First off is let him sleep in a pack and play in our bedroom! A coworker of mine said her son slept in one till he was 18 months old and now sleeps with them. This is nice because he'd be close to me, but i would still have to get up to get him. BUT if he limits his waking to only once a night then it wouldn't be so bad. Option 2 is this...


http://www.drmomma.org/2010/01/turn-your-crib-into-cosleeper.html


Yes, I am fully aware some of you probably think I am loony and insane for wanting to turn my crib into a cosleeper.  Buts its such a great option! I have him close and he has his own space and I have mine! The biggest issue here is the fact my bedroom is pretty tiny so i'm not sure if this would even work. I also have to convince my husband that moving his crib into our room like that is a good idea! Option 3 is to just move his crib into our room and share a room. Who would have thought that I would have such a huge dilemma over where he was going to sleep??

1 comment:

  1. I can totaly understand this dilema! I'd say whatever gives everyone the best rest is the way to go. GL in finding what that is. I personally am looking forward to Kylie being in her own room because I think she'll sleep better and so will we...after the transition of course, which I am NOT looking forward to. I've loved having her so close to me (sleeping in our room).

    ReplyDelete